It’s Mothers’ Day month in May and we are celebrating and honouring our mothers (maybe yourself too) on the 13th of May.
Well, it is said to treat every day as Mothers’ Day but we could refresh on this Sunday as the beginning to love and appreciate our beloved mum.
This is a place where I wanted to share on our we can be with, do something, and give our mum on this special month. Besides the normal norm of eating something special or special outing, I would recommend a healthier option for our dear mum.
And, also serve as my personal wish to my love of my life – mum. #MumLove Or, for mums, this is a selection of gift you could get to honour yourself. #SelfLove
Let’s talk about Gifts, what’s for mum? There are lots of option to choose out there, considering healthier options for healthier mum, we have 10 yummy ideas about the gift.
1. Give a Flower-In-A-Pot
I love roses or any fresh flowers on a beautiful bouquet too, but, thinking of long term solution, for the sake of mum’s eyes and long term appreciation, giving mum roses in a pot is a better choice. There is a quote saying, if you love the flower, don’t pluck it, let it grow beautifully. One way to appreciate the nature with mum.
My mum got one pot of beautiful pink roses at Sungai Buloh one week before, I am super glad to see her smileys and her heart to take good care of the flowers. She is a fan of gardening.
If space is a concern, having this small pot on the table in the house would be beautiful as it would bring a nature vibe to the house.
Pick a flower pot best suited your mum.
Where can you get one: Any plant nurseries; My parents’ favourite: Top 10 Gardening Centres in Sungai Buloh, Selangor
2. Give a Seed of Plants or An Edible Plant
Yep, an edible plant or the seed of it. It’s great for mum who loves to see things grow and it’s a super healthy option where mum could pluck the leaves to cook. Either it is for you or for mum, it is going to be a beautiful process to witness the growth of the seed, just like how mum took care of us since baby. This process serves as a memory for mum and us to own something together, one more topic for discussion like “how’s the Aloe vera doing?”
My mum started to plant a lot of edible vegetables and fruits in her garden, and when she feel like eating one, she would just pluck it and we all enjoy the benefit of the fresh organic vegetables.
If time is constrain to take care of one, pick one which can grow up without much care yet still able to enjoy it’s greeneries. One may consider to talk to the plant, it helps for a person and also to the plant.
Get a seed of edible plant.
Where can you get one: Any plant nurseries; Eat the plant, plant the trees; Get seed from Eats, Shoots & Roots.
3. Give an Extra Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil
I have been a fan of coconut oil for about 8 months now, there are bountiful benefits of it whether it’s intake or to apply on our body.
3.1 Uses on the body:
- Skin Moisturiser: When we apply coconut oil on our skin, it is like a natural moisturiser. Its natural antioxidant properties make it great for stopping wrinkles and skin irritation. I apply on my legs and arms+hands+ lips daily before sleep.
- Natural Makeup Remover: Just a small dab of coconut oil will quickly liquefy eye makeup, making it easy to wipe off. Coconut oil will not sting or irritate eyes, and as a bonus, will help to hydrate around the eyes.
- Lip Balm: Coconut oil helps to nourish the lips, provides a touch of sun protection, and most importantly, is safe to consume.
- Natural Hair Conditioner: Using coconut oil for hair conditioning has been used for thousands of years to strengthen and style hair. As a moisturizer, coconut oil can help strengthen hair while helping hair to retain moisture. Depending on the length and texture of your hair, you may need anywhere from 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil as a conditioner. Warm in the palms of your hands, and starting at the ends, work the oil into the hair.
- Oil Pulling Method: In the morning like mouthwash, which can kill some of the harmful bacteria in the mouth, improve dental health and reduce bad breath. Swish 1 tablespoon of coconut oil immediately after rising in the morning. Spend 10-20 minutes swishing; do not swallow the oil. Spit the oil into the trashcan (not into the sink!) and rinse with sea salt water.
3.2 Uses in the body:
It is recommended to take at least a tablespoon of coconut oil daily. Coconut oil is high in healthy saturated fats that have different effects than most other fats in your diet. Listed down 3 health benefits.
- Increase Fat Burning: These fats can boost fat burning and provide your body and brain with quick energy. The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil have been shown to increase calories burned over 24 hours by as much as 5%.
- Reduce Health Risk: Coconut oil contains natural saturated fats that increase the good HDL cholesterol in your body. They may also help turn the bad LDL cholesterol into a less harmful form which is linked to reduced heart disease risk.
- Digestive Help: Coconut oil’s concentration of beneficial fats in coconut oil makes it helpful for digestion. Its antimicrobial properties can help fight irritation and infection in the gut from Candida.
3.3 Use for cooking:
- Great fat for cooking: Coconut oil is a stable oil that doesn’t break down easily at high temperatures like other oils do. It doesn’t go rancid easily and has amazing nutritional properties. It is great for stir fries, grain free baked goods, and practically any other cooking use.
These information above are collected from three links below, kindly read for more:
Grab an Extra Virgin Unrefined Coconut oil.
Where can you get one: Any supermarket.
4. Give an Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Besides coconut oil, Olive oil has what it takes as a gift to mum, it is naturally high in healthy fatty acids. Other than cooking, we have tons of good reason to consume and use olive oil. It’s a staple of the Mediterranean Diet and has been included in the diets of some of the world’s healthiest, longest-living people for centuries.
- Protects Heart Health: Thanks to powerful antioxidants known as polyphenols, extra virgin oil is considered an anti-inflammatory food and cardiovascular protector.
- Helps Fight Cancer: They are some of the best high antioxidant foods.
- Supports Brain Health: Olive oil is considered a brain food that improves focus and memory. It helps fight age-related cognitive decline because it protects against inflammation, oxidative stress and ADDLs, proteins that are toxic to the brain that can trigger dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.
Extracted the benefits from Dr. Axe’s website, kindly read here for more good reasons: https://draxe.com/olive-oil-benefits/
Where can you get it: Any supermarket, any Speedmart.
Get an Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Where can you get one: Any supermarket.
5. Give an Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a plus point to be in mum’s kitchen.
This is actually made from apple cider that has been fermented by yeast and bacteria, which turns the sugars into alcohol. It then undergoes a second fermentation process in which the alcohol is converted into acetic acid.
This fermentation process accounts for the many health benefits of apple cider vinegar and is the reason why apple cider vinegar is able to lower cholesterol, keep blood sugar levels stable and relieve acid reflux. I personally use it to boost gut health and improve skin health by consuming one tablespoon and apply on face daily.
It is said to best pick labels with organic, raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
Extracted the benefits from Dr. Axe’s website, kindly read here for 20 benefits: https://draxe.com/apple-cider-vinegar-uses/
Get an Apple Cider Vinegar.
Where can get one: Any supermarket, any Speedmart.
6. Make a Homemade Card
I believe when we were young, homemade card is like selling hot cakes where everyone would make one for our mum, be it simple or artistic. We would write our grateful hearts, drawing family stick figures with house and mountains and for sure with lots of heart shape.
What about now? Sometimes, we would buy ready greeting cards, yes, it might be more presentable. But, creating from nothing to something and with one designer plus writer, this is what we called one-and-only. This year, let’s dig out papers, colour pens, or drawing tools to create this precious card. If time is constraint, a descent paper is the easiest way to start.
All I wanted to point out is, now or never. It’s time to express your creativity.
Some of the guidance to start of:
- Simple easy homemade cards (printable): https://www.bhg.com/holidays/mothers-day/cards/make-mothers-day-card/?slideId=slide_37fdeb08-5e6f-45c4-80ce-8fb2889ad02c#slide_37fdeb08-5e6f-45c4-80ce-8fb2889ad02c.
- For more creative examples: https://diyprojects.com/diy-crafts-homemade-mothers-day-cards/
Get a paper and pen.
7. Write a Handwritten Letter
This is rather an easy start, but for some it might take some time to pour your heartfelt words to mum. I have a practise of writing diary so writing has been a thing for me, I love to express through writing, plus it jots down feelings at this time.
I would recommend you to write something you like about your mum, you wish your mum to know about her uniqueness, grateful thought to her like I am thankful for my mum who spent so much time on sending me to tuition and waited for it to end in the car, it was a tiring period for her. There are so much to be acknowledge, recognise and appreciate about mum’s every effort and love.
Make sure you write it down as if it’s our last day. Maybe one day, when mum feel sad, she could refer to these words, these will make up mum’s day.
Pick up that pen.
8. Cook a Plant-based Food or Dessert for Mum
Mum have been spending many hours in the kitchen preparing yummylicious food for us, for years. Mum after mum, generation passed and probably you are becoming mum too. I deem one way to appreciate her is to introduce her a healthier option – plant based food or dessert.
With lesser intake of meat, but more variety of plants, it’s a step-by-step way of living. Very good for elderly and soon-to-be mum, in fact everyone. Plant-based foods contain all the essential nutrients (with the exception of vitamin B12) we need.
I am super thankful that my parents have reduce their meat and milk intake as after their own experiment with meat and without meat, they know how their body react, thus the decision. I made plant based pizza (no cheese & meat) and vegan brownies (no milk) for my parents, it’s weird for them but acceptable. Still, there are many yummy delicious plant-based food to taste.
- 10 Simple Plant-Based Meals in 15 Minutes or Less
- 11 super easy vegetarian and vegan power foods for breastfeeding moms
- Hollywood Bowl Brown Rice Salad
- Tasty (and Healthy!) Homemade Pizza Recipes
- SIMPLE VEGAN BROWNIES
- Simple and Easy Vegan Brownies Video:
Get your apron ready.
Or bring your mum to try out some yummy plant based food at KL:
Things to Do With Mum This Sunday
9. Give Mum A Sound Therapy with Family
Looking for something peaceful and relaxing? I know a good one and I have experience this before. It is also known as sound healing can improve many facets of your life, including emotional and social development, cognitive and motor functioning. It can create a calming effect that quiets outside noise and allows the mind to flourish.
If my mum is in KL, I would bring her here.
Relax with mum.
Where can you experience it: At The Violet Flame Bangsar, KL: Mother’s day special gift- Sound Therapy With Family here. Special Mother’s Day (13th May) Special Sound Meditation: GROUP session here: https://www.facebook.com/events/240243170051015/ (6 pm or 8 pm session. RM53 per pax only. RSVP via WHATSAPP or SMS or call: +60129868346.)
10. Take a Walk In The Nature
This is a great time to reconnect with nature, for mums who have been staying in the office or house most of the time, taking a walk in gardens or nature would help us all to refresh our body and mind.
Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You. All for a better self esteem.
There are two favourite places of mine – Perdana Botanical Garden and FRIM Kepong.
- How to Go There: http://www.klbotanicalgarden.gov.my/garden-guide/getting-here
- How to Go There: FRIM is located along the Selayang-Kepong Highway. You can take the KTM Komuter train from the Kuala Lumpur Railway station or any KTM Komuter station that is in the vicinity and head for Kepong station. Once you reach Kepong station, alight from the train and take a taxi to FRIM.
Walk with mum.
10+1 Extra Gift: Combination of Fruits to Mummy
Check out some of the fruits combination that work best to detox and clear the body. Read more here: What Fruit Combinations Work Best for the Body?
- Apple, Avocado and Banana
- Apples protect you from asthma and diabetes. They contain flavonoids and pectin that helps to cleanse your liver. Avocados are rich in fiber. They also contain healthy monounsaturated fats that eliminate cholesterol. Substitute margarine or butter with avocado in your sandwich to lower your daily caloric intake. Their high fat content helps babies to grow normally. Bananas are rich sources of folic acid and potassium, a mineral that you dissipate while exercising. A medium banana contains high levels of vitamin B6, 3 grams of fiber and 105 calories. In addition to improving your immunity, they regulate your blood pressure.
Make a Detox drink for mum.
Here you go, these are the healthier option list of gifts to consider, some are easy and quick to get, some require heart-work to make one. May you have a beautiful celebration with your one and only mum.
I love you mum.
Much love & light,